Big Dutchman plastic floor systems always meet our customers‘ high demands for the hygienic, productivity-enhancing and animal-friendly housing of sows and piglets. Our extensive product range includes the following components:
- slats made of high-quality plastic material, available in different sizes and with different solid-to-void ratios;
- plastic slats with integrated rubber mat or ceramic insert;
- open and solid cast iron slats;
- heating plates made of polymer concrete, plastic or GRP;
- support bars made of galvanized steel, stainless steel or GRP.
Thanks to the great flexibility of our modular floor system, it is easily possible to create any shape and size of pen.
Floor systems for farrowing pens
Sows and piglets have different requirements regarding thermal conduction and heat storage. A combination of different slats should therefore be used for the floors in farrowing pens. Cast iron flooring ensures a cool lying place for the sow while heating plates are ideal to warm the piglets.
SowComfort is a very durable, non-slip rubber mat guaranteeing a secure foothold for the sow when she stands up or lies down. A special method has made it possible to permanently integrate the rubber mat into the slat during manufacturing. As a result, SowComfort can easily be incorporated into the Big Dutchman floor system.
- secure foothold and stability for sows in the farrowing pen and thus increased well-being;
- the sow rests in a more relaxed manner as the rubber prevents injuries to the teats;
- the piglets stand on the rubber mat with their front feet without slipping while they are suckling;
- easy cleaning with a high-pressure cleaner;
- good abrasion resistance, long service life.
Heating plates ensure optimum temperature conditions in the piglets‘ resting area, no matter whether it be in the farrowing or rearing pen. Our product range includes heating plates of different materials and sizes. They can either be integrated into, or placed on, the slats. This includes heating plates either
- made of plastic, ensuring an even heat distribution as they are filled with water;
- made of high-quality polymer concrete with a well-structured profile and heated by hot-water pipes or heating wires; or
- made of glass-fibre reinforced plastic (GRP); these electric heating plates are of comparatively little weight and available at a reasonable price. They can easily be retrofitted or placed on the slats.
Floor systems for piglet rearing pens
The high-quality Big Dutchman plastic flooring is ideally suited for piglet rearing pens. The optimum solid-to-void ratio keeps the floor clean and promotes healthy piglets.
Slats are available in three different sizes and can also be supplied with a slatted area of only 10 percent. Heating plates can easily be integrated where required (placed on top or inserted).
If a zone heating system is used, plastic slats with a slatted area of 10 percent should be mounted below the covering plate. This improves the heat storing capacity and thus creates a more comfortable resting area.