After the sows have been inseminated and their pregnancies confirmed, they are moved from the insemination area to the gestation area. There are several housing systems and the corresponding feeding options for pregnant sows available from Big Dutchman. The most important factor is that the selected system fits your farm’s individual requirements.
Keeping sows in groups during pregnancy not only increases their well-being but also improves their body condition. They are thus well-prepared for farrowing.
- all animals eat at the same time;
- the farm manager can easily supervise the stock while the sows are eating;
- the sows do not need any time to adapt to the system;
- forming sow groups with identical condition is very simple;
- feeding space widths between 45 cm and 55 cm per sow;
- simple pen arrangement;
- cost-efficient solution.
Group housing with the free-access stall BD
The free-access stall BD, developed by Big Dutchman, provides sows with the advantages of welfare-friendly group housing and the farm staff with optimal working conditions. It can be used in the insemination area and in gestation houses.
The sows can move around freely in the group but receive their feed in stalls. Every sow, therefore, has her own feeding space where she can eat without being disturbed.
- all sows can eat simultaneously so there is no stress during feeding;
- the stall acts as safe retreat for individual sows and thus as protection against more aggressive sows;
- ideal monitoring conditions for every sow since the stalls can be locked individually or all together;
- artificial insemination and pregnancy checks are easily possible through the integrated insemination door;
- high comfort provided for both the staff and the sows.
Electronic sow feeding meets free-access stall
The CallBackpro feeding system unites the advantages of managing sows in free-access stalls with those of an electronic sow feeding (ESF) system. Similar to an ESF system, the sows are identified by an RFID ear tag to allow for individual feeding in the free-access stall. All feeding data are logged automatically; deviations generate an alarm.
- smart solution for providing protection to sows while using individual feeders;
- the sows quickly understand how the feeding system works because of the up-and-over door;
- retrofitting of conventional houses is no problem;
- water can be added to the feed (optional);
- the feeding stations are controlled centrally;
- the user-friendly 510pro controller with touchscreen can be installed at any location;
- reliable BigFarmNet control.
Computer-controlled sow feeding on demand
CallMatic3pro is an innovative feeding system for pregnant sows kept in large groups. It ideally combines the advantages of animal-friendly housing and a feeding method specially adapted to the requirements of individual sows. Individual, computer-controlled feeding means that the supplied feed and thus the nutrients are precisely adjusted to the sow’s condition.
- group housing of up to 70 sows per station*;
- available for dry feeding and liquid feeding;
- suitable for both static and dynamic groups;
- optimised exit area with two gates: the sows cannot enter the station from the exit side;
- trough unit with or without trough flap;
- solid side partitions for undisturbed feed intake;
- use of sound-absorbing materials: low noise level inside and around the station;
- selection unit (optional);
- up to two colour markers (optional);
- two feed types and one separate mineral dosing device (optional);
- reliable BigFarmNet control.
* Country-specific requirements must be observed